Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I Love Bread!!


So, I made my first loaf of homemade bread a few months ago and it actually turned out like real bread! I was so excited that my first batch
(I made 2 loaves) turned out so usable and delicious. It really made our entire home smell good, too!

Unfortunately, when I tried making bread a second time a couple weeks ago, I got busy and left the dough to rise in a cabinet for a day and a half. I know, I know, how nasty am I to leave the dough out for that long...
When I finally got to it, the dough smelled like wine. Completely fermented. But, I baked it anyway just to see what would happen. Sure enough, when it was finished it still smelled strong like wine and tasted just like it; kinda bitter. Ugh. Totally not edible.
-But- It still looked pretty enough for a photo so I left the brick, I mean bread, on the counter covered with some plastic wrap. Days later, my mother-in-law came over and, since she's super hungry, decided to unwrap the brick bread and eat a mouthful even though I specifically warned her it was fermented and not edible.

Well, what can I say. The woman's got a mind of her own. I watched, incredulous, as she shoved a chunk of fermented brick-bread in her mouth and started chewing. I gotta hand it to her though, she actually chewed it for about 7 seconds before spitting it out in the trash. Seven seconds is way longer than I would've chewed it. I tried it. It was gross.

So even though the poor brick-bread was a failure at feeding starving people, at least it was a winner when I photographed it.

Which one is the brick loaf? Well, I'll let you decide which loaf was full of alcohol.