Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Teacups


"Cups cups cups cups cups" said the silly little fairy from Disney's "Sleeping Beauty" as she looked around for the proper utensil to make Aurora's birthday cake.

What a great movie.

I watched "Sleeping Beauty" over and over when I was a little girl, sighing at the courage and manliness of Prince Philip as he fought his way through the thorns to the castle where Aurora lay imprisoned in sleep. Oh, and the part at the beginning when they first meet. I love how he surprises her by singing and dancing along with her. That's right, sigh with dreamy eyes.

It amazes me how, for the majority of females, this innate desire for romance and a dashing prince starts at such a young age. I babysat a little girl who was not yet 2 years old and already she delighted in taking me upstairs to her room, opening her dresser, and showing me all her clothes, shoes, purses, hair bands, and other accessories.

And this past Sunday at Costco (why did I go there on a Sunday...), right as I walked in I saw a little girl trailing behind her mom, holding a baby doll up to her shoulder as she tenderly patted it's back as if it were a real baby. I rolled past with my cart, observing, completely amazed, thinking, "Wow, so young and yet already training to be a mommy."