Monday, May 26, 2008

Jamie Livingston's Photo of the Day

Above image courtesy of Only the Blog Knows Brooklyn

I came across this haunting & intriguing piece of work in which a man named Jamie Livingston took a Polaroid every day, for 18 years, chronicling his life until his death in 1997. I first discovered this story on PDN's blog, which led me on a trail to Mental Floss's blog, which led me to Only the Blog Knows Brooklyn.



There is a comment reprinted on OTBKB by a person with a screen name of "krippledkonscious" that best describes why the reaction is so strong to Jamie Livingston's work:

"I had to think a little bit about why this is so stirring. This is not a technical achievement, nor an endeavor that requires an inaccessible skill set. This is one thing, done once a day. Something so spare and ordinary, just taken to extraordinary lengths. A simple thing: whatever struck his fancy on a given day - just capture one thing on film. Simple.

"I know a lot of people try to do this on Flickr, but this is strikingly different in many respects. This isn't a collection of forced poses or composed shots or juxtapositions, he isn't looking for something funny, weird, or ironic. I find myself thinking I should try this, but give up within days because I'd try to wait until something interesting happened. That's me not appreciating the ordinary, or trying to force it, and not having the discipline to just do something on principle. These photos are as simple as memories. They don't always make sense, they don't always fit into some grand theme or design. Here is a memory. Here is another. All you need to know is: this was then, on this date. This happened, I was there. Do you remember?

"Nothing seems framed here. You don't feel as if he is trying to sell you anything about himself. I like to think that the people in his life probably questioned this hobby or wondered what purpose it could ever serve - especially in those days before such a scheme could bring you internet glory. There was no market for this kind of thing. Who would care? Why keep at it? No one will see it. That camera isn't even portable. The resolution is terrible. Why bother?

"I think we react to this because it is so rare. A refreshingly simple thing, devoid of polish or fanfare, suddenly set in front of us by chance. It doesn't ask anything of you. You take what you will."