Monday, July 14, 2008

Cara Barer

I discovered this amazing artist photographer today through FotoFest, a Houston based photographic arts organization where I was an intern a couple summers back.

The following four images are courtesy of photographer Cara Barer. www.carabarer.com

Kaleidoscope, photo by Cara Barer

Torso, photo by Cara Barer

Carmen, photo by Cara Barer

Angel Food, photo by Cara Barer

I was immediately intrigued upon my first glance at her work and quickly went to her website to find out more about the mysterious objects in her photos. Off I went to www.carabarer.com and --Lo and Behold!!-- the mysterious objects in her photos are nothing more than books!

Now that is an artist.

I had a conversation a few weeks ago with my cousin (who is not an artist) about how artists see the world differently than non-artists. Artists notice and find beauty in simple, everyday objects whereas others may pass by the same everyday object without a second thought.

Cara Barer has turned tired old yellow pages, computer manuals, and many other books into incredible photographic sculptures. And I do believe this is one book collection that is definitely worth taking the time to browse.