Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Lifeguard Stand on the Oregon Coast


A blustery day on the Oregon Coast. Lots of wind and sideways rain. This shot reminds me of my photo hero's work, Joel Meyerowitz. Fantastic photographer. I'd say he's legendary. His work on Cape Cod stopped me in my tracks. His entire portfolio is incredible but it was his work on Cape Cod that first caught my eye. Meyerowitz's stunning seascapes and documentation of life in all its idyllic quietness gave me a better understanding of what it's like to just live. To just experience. His images are simple yet complex and they arrest me with such a compelling strength.

Oh...I am at a loss to describe the power of his images. I can only strive to see and create as he does. I think I got lost somewhere along the way and started photographing lightly and without thought, forgetting how much Meyerowitz's work inspired me.